Thursday, November 18, 2004

less than important.

I was at work today, unmolding little pecan tarts (which were mostly cooked to perfection...only one wasn't done all the way, and when I turned it out into my hand the hot sugary liquid spilled all over me and burned between my fingers...I threw that one out, so all of them that will get to customers are fully baked), when Jeanne, the pastry chef, started laughing at nothing. She laughed for a few minutes, which is really not an unusual experience, and then said, "Do you realize what we do? We make dessert. Our job is to make people dessert." I was a little worried at first...I mean, she's been at Olivers for almost two years. You'd think she would know what she was doing by now. But, I understand what she was saying. It's the same thing they used to tell me at pastry school (they'd yell at us for messing up, and then say, "it's a good thing you're not performing brain surgery or something IMPORTANT." It was great for the self-esteem). Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my job. There's nothing I'd rather be doing (except sleeping, or drinking coronas on the beach), but, really...it's not like the world would stop if all the pastry chefs went on strike.
After Jeanne stopped laughing, I went on unmolding my tarts, but now I couldn't stop thinking about my meaningless job. I wonder what it would be like to be a brain surgeon, holding someone else's life in your hands...I don't think I could handle that. I have enough pressure in my life, just trying to concentrate long enough to get my creme brulee baked so no one gets sick from eating it. Maybe that's why I don't make enough money to support myself...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for letting me post "anonymously". I had to chime in that your work is SO MEANINGFUL, especially to those of us who are with child, especially if that child is going to be an 84 pound toddler. Never doubt yourself or your work - you rock!!!