Thursday, November 18, 2004

Christmas Shopping in Canada

I was going to go to sleep and skip writing in my blog tonight. I have to work in the morning and you all know how I need at least 8 hours of sleep to be functional. But I slept all day (I woke up at noon, ate some lunch, watched some TV, fell back to sleep, got up around 4 and showered, then went out to dinner...) and now I'm wide awake. I have nothing exciting to write about (as opposed to my other entries which were packed full of useful information), but I have time, so I'm going to write.

I just had a thought...how do Canadians know when it's time to start Christmas shopping? How does anyone, other than the Americans, know? I mean, you start the day after Thanksgiving. But, if you're Canadian, you can't start the day after your own Thanksgiving, which is in, like, July (or Oct....whatever...), and on a Monday!

I never understood Canadian Thanksgiving. They didn't have pilgrims, except for the ones who left America, and by the time the pilgrims got to Canada, they had taken a lot of land from the Indians (on Thanksgiving it's OK to be un-PC and call them Indians, right?), so I doubt they were in the mood to be thankful and share a meal together.

Canadians don't have football on their Thanksgiving, either, except for the normal Monday Night Football. But Canadians don't have much football...and the football they do have...not real football. I wrote a paper once on how American football was better than Canadian football...I think I failed it. Anyway, if they don't have football to watch, and they don't have the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (Macy's only has ONE Thanksgiving Day Parade, and it's on the REAL Thanksgiving), what do they watch? I think TV is just normal TV on Canadian Thanksgiving. How weird is that?

Thanksgiving on a Monday is just not a good idea. Can you imagine having to go to work on the day after Thanksgiving??? I can't either, but I'll let you know what it's like this year, since I work the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Do Canadians even have turkey for Thanksgiving? Maybe they eat, like, caribou and maple sugar candy.

But, back to my original thought. When do they start Christmas shopping? I'm really worried about them, now, the poor little Canadians who don't have the Friday after Thanksgiving Sales. And to think I thought it would be the perfect country to move to after the disasterous election...

No comments: