Monday, November 22, 2004

Irish Car Bombs

I went to Genesseo with Shannon and Cait to see Amelia on Saturday. Amelia lives in an apartment with 2 other girls, Laura and Meg, so we hung out with them and Amelia's boyfriend, Matt, all night while we drank (a very odd mixture of orange vodka, Jamesons, and Blue...not all together), and played Mario Brothers on Nintendo. It was so much fun. I kept thinking that Papa would have been proud of us, spending our time together, getting wasted. At least he would have been until I passed out around 12:30 (I know, I'm a wuss). Then I woke up at some point alone on the couch. The TV was on still so I watched part of the Anna Nicole Show. Wow, that show sucks.

Anyway, we spent a lot of the night talking about the past. We called Louis and put him on speaker phone and made him make his fake throw up noises for us, then we talked about what a jerk he used to be, but how great he is now. We talked about this one time when we had some family party and were bored so I stole a bottle of something from behind the bar. I don't remember what it was, but it was red and syrupy and tasted like cough syrup. Amelia, Caitlin, and I sat in Amelia's computer room and drank it until Dennis came down to check on us. Then we went back upstairs and ate hotdogs. Later, Caitlin threw up all over her bed and her mattress is still stained red...

I had to work on Sunday, which sucked. I hate working hung over. Not that I was sick, just kinda stupid. Someone would say something to me and it would take me 5 minutes to process it before I responded, as opposed to the normal 3 minute lapse. But I spent a lot of the day thinking about how grown up our family has gotten. By family I mean the cousins. We're still the "kid table" at Thanksgiving, and the "kids," and Ben, Art, Alex, Tyler, and Brendan are still the "little boys." But have you seen them lately? They're all about twice as tall as I am! And Ben and Alex are going to college next year! But, if I do say so myself, we're all pretty cool. How many other families have parties where Irish Car Bombs are the drink of choice (speaking of which, are car bombs a Thanksgiving drink?) I thought about how far we've all come, from when Ben was little and choked on a piece of steak and wouldn't eat anything but milkshakes, and when Mike, Shannon and I would all get on the bus together to go to Wales. And then I got on the bus with Amelia, Louis, and Cait. Remember how we all used to fight when we were little, like we were all brother and sisters? Maybe because we all lived in the same house, practically (ok, so, some of us really did). And how annoying was it to start the school year at Iroquois as a Garvey? Every teacher would say, "You're a Garvey? Are you related to..." But, now, I'm so happy for all of us. Look how great we're all doing, and how hard we're all working, but how much fun we still have. And now the next generation is coming (YAY ALFIE!), how much fun is that going to be? Do you think you can make car bombs in baby bottles?

No comments: