Sunday, March 04, 2007

I'm still a grown up...I was saving it for Mary.

Last week after work one day I went to Wal Mart. I needed Q Tips, but I forgot them, and all I actually bought was a flower pot and potting soil. See, a few months ago I was making this pasta dish (Mary's favorite pasta, as I call it), and I needed basil. The only basil Wegmans had was a potted plant. So I bought it, ripped off most of the leaves, and used them. Then I figured I'd try to get it to grow more, so I put it on my window sill and watered it. It worked! And it got so big that it needed a new pot! So I got home with the new pot and soil and replanted it. Now I'm waiting to see if it's going to live. Moving is one of the most stressful things to go through, you know...

Anyway, last night at dinner I was telling everyone about my basil plant (who does not have a name yet...I'm waiting to see if it lives before I really get attached), and complimenting myself on how grown up I must be to keep a plant alive. I'd just like everyone to know that I'm not really that grown up (or maybe I'm grown up, just not clean?)...this morning while looking for something in the fridge I pulled open one of the drawers and it had this brownish liquid covering the bottom. The worst part? I wasn't sure if it was from some old mushrooms, part of an eggplant, or an onion. I figured out it was the mushrooms, but I threw them all out. Then I decided I needed to clean the fridge. While I was doing that, I found a tupperware of something I couldn't quite identify...When I opened it all I could smell was mold.

It was the pasta dish.

That I made at least a month and a half ago.

I'd guess even longer, maybe, but our fridge isn't that old.

I just put the top back on and put it back...Maybe Mary will still want it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i guess it's the thought that counts...

Esther said...

I found a bag of liquified potatoes in our old apartment. I don't know how long it takes for a potato to liquify, but eew. We almost had to move just because I couldn't find the smell.

Cecilia said...

But did you throw them out or save them for Mary?

Leah said...

We officially live here. I found hairy black beans this morning.