Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Hot, hot, hot

So, who loves their job? I love my career, but, at the moment, I don't love my job. You know why? It's SOFA KING HOT in the kitchen. I get to work and walk as slowly as possible to the door, savoring the 90 degree, 98% humidity, because I know that as soon as I walk into the kitchen it's going to be 800 times worse. And it's only June. My candy thermometer broke the other day because it was too hot. A CANDY THERMOMETER. Those things go up to, like, 1000 degrees. I suggested working naked to beat the heat, but there's some problem with a health code and insurance issue, so they make us wear long pants and a thick, long-sleeved coat. And a hat.

Yesterday wasn't as bad, it was only about surface-of-the-sun hot. So we decided that it was cool enough to eat, and we actually made a staff meal for lunch. One of the girls from the office came down to get some of the lunch we had made and said, "It feels so nice and warm down here. It's freezing up in the office with the AC on!" I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or throw a knife at her. I opted to go sit outside in the sun and cool off.

No comments: