Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Canine Separation Anxiety?


Toby had to go to the vet today to have his ears rechecked. While we were there I mentioned that he's started barking, constantly, every time we leave him home alone. And that if he's not in the same room as me, he whines or barks. And when he is in the same room as me, he wants to be on my lap. The vet said, "classic separation anxiety." I thought he was joking. He's not.

I, apparently, am Toby's Alpha Dog (Amy also fills this role), and when I am not around, Toby worries that he will never again have food, water, love, attention, walks, toys to rip apart, etc. So he barks. Or eats the kitchen floor. Or pees all over everything.

The vet's advice? Look online for solutions. If I can't find anything there or in a book that works, I can pay someone (the Dog Whisperer) to come tell me what to do and help convince Toby he's OK. Or we can put him on doggy prozac, but not until it's really bad. Because pee all over my chewed up kitchen floor isn't that bad...

1 comment:

Esther said...

You can have Jesse. She is the alpha dog in our house, even if I think I am.