Thursday, December 13, 2007

DONE

I'm done! YAY! Over 4 weeks of family, food, friends, DVR'd TV (from the last few weeks when I was busy studying), working with Dad (which I really am excited about), sleep (which I'm also very excited about, but not quite as much as being back in the office), and just generally being on break. I am so happy! But, right now, I am also so exhausted. Today was Chemistry. After the first test in the class I had an F. On the second exam I got a C. On the third I got a B. I had a possibility of getting a B+ in the class if I did well on the exam, since one of my class exam grades would be replaced with my final exam grade (and there are quizzes and homework added in there.) So I studied a lot. A lot more than I have ever studied for an exam. And I knew how to do all of the long answer problems, and I knew all of the material for the short answer questions.

I was really nervous. I hadn't been worried about my other exams. I very rarely get worried about exams. I stress, and I study, but once I get in there, I take it and I'm done. As the minutes tick away closer to exam time I don't get scared or shake, my stomach doesn't get upset. But I really wanted to do well on this exam. I wanted to do better than my professor expected. I woke up nervous. And it got worse the closer to exam time it got. My hands were shaking, I felt sick, I wanted to cry...it was not fun.

And I got in there, and I was so tired, and so sick of chemistry, and my head hurt, and my back hurt from bending over in those stupid little desks, and I just didn't care for a second. I just wanted to go home. I couldn't remember how to get the density of until cells, or the percent yield of Hydrogen gas from an equation. Things I had done 8 million times just this morning!

But I did it, and I finished, and I think I did OK. Probably not better than my professor expected, but, not worse, either. And really? I'm OK with that.

1 comment:

Mike Garvey said...

Hooray for you, Middle Child! I'm so proud of us examinees. It's 8:34am right now, my last exam starts in 26 minutes and ends within 7 hours and 26 minutes, so at some point after 4pm today, you and I will have a celebratory drink.