Monday, June 05, 2006

Do you know what a Meerkat is?


A few weeks ago I had a bunch of days off for some reason. Dad must have been working in the hospital or something. Anyway, I spent them with Julia. One day we went to the zoo. Esther told me that she liked the meerkats, so I should take her into the reptile house to see them. Now, if it were up to me, I'd stay out of the reptile house. I understand snakes are an important part of the earth's ecosystem, but I also think that they're slithery and gross and scary and I like them to stay where they belong...in the rainforests of Africa, far far away from me. But, Julia likes the meerkats, so we went into the reptile house. We had been having a good day up until then. We saw the bears being fed, the otters swam right up to the window she as pushed up against, we watched the sea lions for a long time...it was great. And she laughed and clapped and everyone who passed us loved her (of course.) As soon as we walked into the reptile house, though, she started laughing and pointing at all the cages. The closer we got to the meerkats the louder she laughed. When we finally got to where she could see them, she screamed at the top of her lungs and pointed and then clapped and screamed some more. She really did love them. I pushed her right up against the glass and she pointed out every meerkat that poked its little head out of the ground. We stayed there for over 15 minutes, and I felt bad when we had to leave, but Julia just waved.

Animal Planet has a new show on now. Meerkat Manor. Every time I see the commercial for it, I think of Julia and want to laugh and clap and point...but I don't think it would be as cute if I did it...

1 comment:

Esther said...

Someone might have a new favorite show!