Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Annie, Summer, and Chuck

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANNIE!!! And happy summer everyone else!

I was walking across the UB campus today (North). You know the grassy area between Capen and Talbert Halls and the Hochstetter parking lot? I've walked across it to get to and from class at least 3 times a week since January. So I've gotten to know the woodchuck that lives there (at least I think it's a woodchuck...I'm pretty sure it isn't a beaver because I saw Chronicles of Narnia recently and now I know that beavers live under water and can stand up on 2 legs and walk and talk and would help me escape evils like physics and pre-calc...these animals don't do any of that, so they must be woodchucks.) Occationally I won't be paying attention to where I'm walking and I'll almost step right on him (let's call him Chuck) before he runs away. It's kinda scary. So, last night I was walking to my car when Chuck, or at least I thought it was Chuck, saw me and went running to his hole. Then I saw 5 little furballs follow him, and I realized that Chuck was actually Chuck's wife, Chuckette, and the real Chuck was over on the other side of the lawn eatting grass. He didn't run away, but Chuckette had to save her 5 little babies from me. They ran right into a rabbit while trying to escape to their hole, though...I didn't know UB North was such a wildlife preserve. It's crazy. Tonight while walking to my car I almost stepped on Chuck again (I know it was Chuck because Chuckette had already run off with the babies.) It scares me a little bit that he doesn't move away from me. Can woodchucks have rabies? Should I park in another parking lot and stay away from him? If I get bit by a rabid woodchuck on my way to class do I get out of class that night? Do you think that's a valid excuse to get out of taking an exam? Hm...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! you remembered my birthday, you're the BEST! ~Annie

kt said...

no worries Cecilia!!! You won't get rabies from Chuck. He is prob so used to people stomping all over his little grassy patch by now that he's not that intimidated anymore. But i'm soooo jealous you got to see chuck and chuckettes babies!!! furballs!! i think you should try to get a picture and post it...i would greatly appreciate it. :)