Monday, September 05, 2005

How much I hate Olivers.

I gave Oliver's my two week notice. I was so excited. I'm so happy to be out of there. Unfortunately, I don't really have another job until the end of October...and I still have rent and other bills to pay. So, what's my solution, you ask? Well, to answer this question properly, I have to go back to my sophomore year in high school...

I'm sitting in Mrs. Warzel's biology class, listening to her talk about something extremely interesting, I'm sure. Then she says the word "movie" and I start paying attention. Maybe we're going to watch a Gumby movie (to understand my thought process there, you'd have to know Mrs. Warzel...she had a slight obsession with Gumby...). So, she puts this movie on and, alas, it's not about Gumby but about some extremely overweight man who smoked 3 packs a day and ate at McDonalds for each of his 8 meals. He had to have some operation that involved taking a vein from his leg and attaching it to his heart. GROSS. I made it to the part where they cut his leg open, then I jumped up, ran to the water fountain in the hall way, and puked all over the floor. Right in front of 3 junior boys, one of whom happened to be the older brother of my homecoming date (this event happened about the week before homecoming...) The boys, of course, looked at me and then walked away. No asking if I was ok or offers to get the nurse or a teacher or anything.

Fast forward a few months. I've gotten over the embarrassment of puking in front of the upperclassmen, but I still can't stand to even hear the word "vein." It makes me want to vomit. My family, of course, loves this and uses it whenever they can. So I'm in health class and we're talking about CPR. I get through the parts about breathing into someone else's mouth, I make it through the tournequit part...but then the teacher starts to talk about getting a nail in the bottom of your foot...I rush out of the room to the water fountain feeling like I might get sick, and instead pass out against the lockers.

So I learn to just zone out whenever teachers start talking about anything gross like blood or veins or internal organs or anything. At pastry school whenever anyone gets cut everyone looks at me to make sure I don't pass out or throw up...nevermind that else is missing a finger.

Now, after hearing all of this, you're probably thinking, "well, the perfect job for her would be something like a librarian." Well, no...paper cuts are too prevalent around all those books. Nanny? Nope...kids bleed all the time. What did I pick? I'm assisting in my dad's oral surgery office...yep. I'm going to stand next to him while he cuts people open and pulls out their teeth. That's how much I hate Olivers.

No comments: