Thursday, July 20, 2006

Sweet Baby James

In 1998 my aunt and uncle had my youngest cousin. It took a few days, but they named him James. They asked me to be his godmother.

I was a senior in high school that year, so we lived in the same town. It was pretty easy for me to spoil him by just driving (well, having someone drive me) down the street. Then I moved to Toronto for college. I didn't get to see James as often, but I started writing him letters and mailing him stuff as a way to spoil him and make sure I was always his favorite. Nothing big, just stickers and stuff like that. He started sending letters back to me. This continued through my four years of college and the year I was in NYC, and even now that I'm back in Buffalo, I still get letters from James.

I've saved every single one of them.

I've been packing all my stuff so I can move on Sunday. Amy's been helping me, and making me throw out all the things I've saved and don't really need (expired coupons, birthday cards I bought and never used, notes I wrote myself, etc.) I've also been finding all of James' letters.

The earliest ones are just scribbles, with the actual letter written by his mom or brother or sister. Then they move onto stick figures with his name (some of the letters witten backwards). I found one that had Lucky Charms marshmallows taped to it. I LOVE Lucky Charms marshmallows. Lately they have real messages written in them, by James, in real sentences. And he's started to send me little presents. I have 2 shrinky-dink hearts, a shrinky-dink 4 leaf clover, and a macaroni necklace on the rearview mirror of my car, all sent to me by James.

So, I may not be the best godmother, in the strictest sense of the word. I haven't actually paid any attention to James' spiritual life since, well, the day he was baptized. But somehow I ended up with the best godson ever.

No comments: