Saturday, August 27, 2005

If I Could Turn Back Time...

This afternoon after I left work I stopped by Mary's dorm room. It's beautiful, but that's not the point of this entry. The point is, I want to be in college again.

No, I don't want to go to school. I don't want to change my career - my job, yes, but not my career. I don't want to be 18, 19, 20, 21, or even 22-years-old again. But I want to go back to my freshman year in college knowing what I know now. I want to walk into St. Joseph's College Residence knowing that I should go to class and do the reading because it really will make my life easier at the end of the semester - no one can read an entire Sociology text book in one night and expect to pass the exam.

I want to sit around my dorm room drinking 7-Up and Peach Schnapps (Canada never did have any good alcohol...) and watch girly movies and know that my biggest problem is that my roommate might come home with her boyfriend and kick me out at any minute. I want to enjoy the times I spent with my friends more and know that as we get older life gets tougher, and I should have enjoyed those minutes more instead of complaining about insignificant things I can't even remember now.

I wouldn't change everything I did, but I would do everything the same. I would keep the same major, the same friends, stay in the same dorm. But I would be more myself. I wouldn't be afraid to show people what I believe in and how I feel, because I know now that I'm going to tell them sooner or later anyway, and if they're true friends they still love me. I would treasure the pressure of writing a paper at the last minute and enjoy the time I got to spend with my friends during our all-nighters.

As I was leaving Mary's dorm I got into the elevator with a bunch of boys and another girl. One of the boys asked the other girl if she was a freshman, and she said no, she was a senoir. Then he asked me, and I just said no. I didn't tell him it had been six years since I was a freshman, or that the next four years will fly by for him and he should love them because he'll look back some day and wish he was in college again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well put! i had the same feeling as I laid in Mary's bed, listening to her music, laughing with her roommate, and watching her unpack. The guy in the parking lot who asked me if I had my room keys made my day. College was awesome, but I'm pretty damn happy that I got to go home with my husband and my baby.

Anonymous said...

you can both come and visit any time, as long as you bring me either cookies or a baby :)

Cecilia said...

Does it matter where I get the baby from?

Scott said...

I'll rent one to you.